Friday, December 20, 2013

Blue Tack Art

While many people use blue tack for securing items to the wall for semi-permanent strong hold but clean and easy removal without damaging the walls, I use blue tack for a different use. Blue tack has been my art form since primary school when I would get hold of a blue tack amount, I would sculpt it into whatever creature I like. That was the fun of blue tack. You could make a creature, any creature for that matter. The possibilities was endless. I had many hours playing with blue tack making anything from orcas, to dinosaurs, to dragons and even robots.

Fast forward many years. I've had years and years of experience with blue tack. Lately, I've gone back into blue tack sculpting after I was bored one day at work. For the least part, someone saw my making the blue tack rose bouquet (which was sadly been destroyed by yours truly) that intrigued interest from my colleagues. Soon, everyone in the office would come to know and request my skills to help them commission one sculpture.

My sculptures seldom exceed 5 cm. The difficulty is the detailing of smaller sculptures. Blow them up to larger proportions and there won't be much details. For the part, you might need delicate and steady hands as well as a few items other than the obvious blue tack. I will teach you how.

I've so far commisioned a dancing pig holding a single rose, a bull fighting scene with a red flag, 2 horses, mummy pig and baby piglet, suckling pig on a plate, a mini Nikon 1D camera, 2 chinese dragons, a goat, 2 mouse holding seeds and a bull feeding on grass. Other than those, I've also made my own which will be shown later. For the most, here are some of the works of blue tack I've done.

 The dragon made 3D from my 2D artwork. This was my first attempt at coloured blue tack sculpting.
 Subsequently, my skill wasn't really put to the test so I decided to make this less than one cm by one cm rose and pieced a dozen of them together to make this flower arrangement.
My latest work of orchids.

So, these are some of the many blue tack sculptures I've made. For the part, I will be attempting a step by step tutorial for those who wish to know how to achieve this. But for now, I'll leave you with a tutorial on how to prepare a blue tack before sculpting. It is important because a not supple piece would not be easy to handle.


No comments:

Post a Comment